Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What you may not know about the YMCA


Da duh da duh da duh YYYYYYYY M C A…
Da duh da duh da duh YYYYYYYY M C A Ae

If you’re anything like me then theme music comes to mind for almost any situation, it’s like a really cheesy soundtrack for your life that you have no control over and won’t stop.  I’ve tried listening to more “sophisticated” music and cooler/trendier tunes in an attempt to improve my inner soundtrack, but it never works.  I am cheesy, I know it but I really do not accept it. I cannot. 

Another trapping of cheesiness is my devotion to the YMCA.  I love that that place!  However, I find that there are many misconceptions about the YMCA which I will dispel now.

  1. The YMCA is cheap.  You go there because you cannot afford a real gym.
WRONG! The YMCA has superior workout facilities AND most of them have a pool.  NO, not a pool so you can get the G and the T out of the way at the same time.  These pools are for real athletes, and real athletes recognize that swimming is a formidable sport.
AND it’s not cheap.  An individual membership in Dallas starts out at $69 (tee hehe).  Would you pay that to be crammed among the steroids and silicone at Gold’s? or to wait for a treadmill at 24-hour?
The YMCA price point is not about what you get out of the gym, it’s also about giving back.  The organization welcomes everyone regardless of ability to pay.  They partner with local businesses to subsidize memberships.  The rate paid for each individual and family membership is based on ability and income.  That means, when I sit on the couch all week I have not wasted any $$.  Rather, I can feel generous about helping my community.  Can you say that about your dusty gym membership?

  1. Why would I go to the YMCA? They’re all located in the ghetto.
Also not true.
The YMCA has fantastic locations globally.  Most major cities have a YMCA in the downtown area so there is really no excuse to miss a workout when you are a member of the YMCA.  In fact, I stayed at a very nice YMCA in Hong Kong. My room had a view of Victoria Harbor. 
Some are located in the ghetto, but with over 10,000 locations in the US alone you will find a variety.  Yes, there is a Y in Park Cities.   There is also one in Bedford... and a Moorland location.

  1. The YMCA is for old people.
Well, yeah it kind of is.  But, old people need to get in the gym too!  I have to believe it reduces government expenditures on Medicare/Medicaid so I tolerate it.

  1. The YMCA is for kids.
YES it is! Kids need to stay busy.  I think it’s good karma to be nice to kids at the Y, so that when you see them out at restaurants you can justifiably send bad looks to the parents and ask to be seated elsewhere.  There is a time a place for kids.  The YMCA is doing their part!

  1. The YMCA is only for Christians.
Nope, actually this year the YMCA officially changed its name to “the Y” to avoid that misconception.  But, I like to flaunt my old-skool YMCA style so to me it will always be the YMCA (Da duh da duh da duh…).

  1. The YMCA is not for women.
See response to #5.
Although I’m a closet feminist I think this one is really silly.  How many times have we been referred to as “guys” and not even noticed?  The YMCA falls into that category.

  1. The YMCA is gay.
If that means it’s fabulous then why haven’t you signed up yet!?

Other reasons to love the YMCA
  • Kind members (limited amount of d-bags, it is not a meat market)
  • Positive and welcoming environment for anyone looking to improve their health and better themselves.
  • Excellent teachers and classes
  • Volunteer opportunities
  • Convenience
  • I think I already mentioned that they have pools. 

So yeah, I will be at the YMCA tonight for Kristy’s yoga class.  Hips go high!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Annie, you are the reason I almost joined the Y in Houston. Alas, I didn't...but I trust your wholehearted devotion! Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to have 10 children and take them to every restaurant I know you're going to be at!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, thanks Chelsea, it's good to know that my constant gushing about the YMCA has made an impact... (a limited impact).
    Lacey, did you read the whole post?? The YMCA is for children, you can take all 10 of them there for dinner. ;)

    ReplyDelete